Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 45 minutes
1 pound carrots coarsely chopped or baby carrots
1 pound potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
2 onions, roughly chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
4.5 pound free-range whole chicken
1 tablespoon sea salt medium coarse or flaky preferred
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or more to taste
1 lemon quartered
1/2 head garlic
1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
8 thyme sprigs
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
1/4 bunch parsley
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or more to taste
1. Preheat the oven 425 degrees F
2. Place the carrots and potatoes in the 9×13″ cake pan lined with aluminum foil and toss with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 white wine, 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic and 1 teaspoon chopped thyme.
3. Spatchcock the bird by removing the backbone and crushing the rib cage. Season the cavity with salt and pepper, and then stuff the lemon quarters, garlic slices (chop a garlic he’d right in half, easy as that) and herbs inside. Arrange lemon slices on top of the chicken. Place the chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan ON TOP of the carrots and potatoes.
4. Drizzle the chicken with the remaining olive oil, wine and season the whole thing with a fair amount of salt and pepper. Place in the oven. Roast for 10 minutes and then drop temperature down to 375 degrees F.
5. Roast the chicken and root vegetables for approximately 45 minutes until a meat thermometer reads 150 degrees F when inserted into the breast. Cook to temperature and not time.
6. Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving.