– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
– 2 medium clove garlic, finely chopped
– 1-1/4 lb. Italian sausage
– 1 cup pitted black olives
– 1 can tomato puree (28 oz.)
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons fresh or dried basil
– 1 teaspoon died Italian seasonings
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
– 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
– 1 lb. dried Rigatoni
– Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it into bite-sized pieces with a spoon, until just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Spoon off the fat if it’s excessive. Stir in the olives and tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the cream, increase the heat to high, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cream thickens slightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
6. Stir in basil, parsley, Italian seasonings and 2 tbs. of the Parmigiano. Keep the sauce warm over low heat.
7. Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water and then drain the pasta. Return the pasta to its pot, add the sauce and the reserved cooking water, and set the pot over high heat.
8. Gently toss the pasta for 30 to 60 seconds and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among warm bowls and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tbs. of Parmigiano and 2 tbs. of parsley.